Saturday, July 21, 2012

Cake Pops...

In preparation for a friend's baby shower, I have spent the last week or so reading dozens of blogs on Cake Pops and how to make them.  I didn't pick any recipe, just kind of went with what looked right based on what I was reading.  These are just a test run for next weekend. 

I've never made them before and have been feeling rather intimidated by them, but so far, it has been pretty easy.  Step 1. Bake a cake and then mash it up. Step 2. Mix ready made frosting into said cake. Step 3. Put the cake/frosting mixture in the freezer for about 15 minutes. Step 4. Roll it into balls on a cookie shoot. I'm currently at Step 5.  Put them in the fridge for 2 hours.  

I am nervous about the melting of chocolate and dipping the cake balls into the melted chocolate.  I try to avoid anything involving the stove top when baking, as that is how I most frequently burn myself. Also, I do not have a double boiler and I keep meaning to include it on a Christmas/Birthday Wish List but forget every year and here I am again wondering which bowl/sauce pan I will precariously hold over a put of boiling water wishing and hoping I do not permanently disfigure myself with melted chocolate/sugar.  I have a possibly abnormal fear of melted sugar.


Well...that didn't go as easily as I thought. No severe burns. Yay. Ugly lopsided cake pops on kabob skewers. Boo.  Maybe it was the melted chocolate instead of candy melts. Maybe it was the skewers instead of lollipop sticks.  Maybe it was because I forgot to dip some of the skewers in chocolate first. I'm not really sure but it didn't really go smoothly.  Sean is pretty excited to eat them...hopefully they taste better than they look.  





No comments:

Post a Comment